Re: Vertical spacing help

From: Dimitris Marinakis
Subject: Re: Vertical spacing help
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 04:12:20 +0200

I've managed to fix it thankfully!
I think placing a padding override at the Score block level breaks all other tweaks in the StaffGroup or Staff level.

Best,
Dimitris

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 9:32 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

Le 22/03/2021 à 20:13, Dimitris Marinakis a écrit :
> I'm having trouble with the vertical spacing of an orchestral score.
> One StaffGroup for some odd reason doesn't respond to any of the
> StaffGrouper overrides. (no other overrides used at the Staff level).
>
> It uses a hidden second stave. Problem is if I reduce the spacing
> between the two grouped staves when only the 1st staff is visible it
> messes the spacing... No matter what I do Lilypond wants to space the
> grouped staves very far apart which results in strange spacing in some
> busier pages. I've spent hours trying to figure out how to solve this
> problem.
>
> The file is big and has a lot of dependencies so I cannot even make a
> tiny example or even share the file itself since I'd have to force you
> to include the exact same fonts and all kinds of random included files.
>
> See the attached image.
>
> I know this post may be useless but if you have a lot of experience
> with Lilypond please contact me so I can share the file with you in
> private, even if it won't compile.

1. Don't panic. LilyPond has a solution for everything.

2. In hopeless cases, you can always set the distances explicitly as
explained in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/explicit-staff-and-system-positioning

3. What is wrong with this?

\version "2.23.1"

<<
   \new StaffGroup \with {
     \RemoveAllEmptyStaves
     \override StaffGrouper.staff-staff-spacing =
       #'((basic-distance . 2)
          (minimum-distance . 2)
          (padding . 0)
          (stretchability . 0))
   } <<
     \new Staff { c'1 \break c'1 }
     \new Staff { r1 c'1 }

   \new StaffGroup <<
     \new Staff { c'1 c'1 }
     \new Staff { c'1 r1 }

4. If you're in trouble, take a look at

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2019-07/msg00231.html

It's an extensive example of spacing options that Harm posted some time
ago on this list. I have found it useful.

Best,
Jean