Re: Enharmonically override key signature

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Enharmonically override key signature
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 21:33:03 -0400

Hi Craig,

> That worked for my over-simplified MWE. But here's my real-world problem with
> multiple key changes. There are only some that need to be over-ridden
> enharmonically. See bar 2 of the Alto Sax where I'd like to override this key
> signature without changing the whole global setup. Is this possible?

If it is, I can’t wait to see the solution… As the composer and arranger of
musical theatre and other multi-instrumentalist music, Lilypond’s awkward
handling of key signatures and transposition is a long-time thorn in my side.

David K once devised a rather brilliant almost-solution (cf.
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/quot-smart-quot-transposition-of-key-signatures-td151940.html>),
 but it wasn’t able to handle the high abstraction of my Lilypond code. There
was a suggestion that an “enharmonize-engraver” might solve the problem, but I
don’t think anyone tackled that. And of course, that thread is nearly a decade
old — there may have been improvements since then which make the problem easier
to tackle. (Aaron: Up for the challenge? LOL)

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info