Re: hspace in markup cancels other directives

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: hspace in markup cancels other directives
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 14:56:01 +0200

Jim Cline <jcline@physics.mcgill.ca> writes:

> Hi Aaron, thanks for that.  I thought I had tried all permutations of
> the order of specifications but I missed that one.  It's hard to guess
> which one is correct.--Jim

It's not a matter of order or permutations.  Things like \with-color
#red are not complete without the immediately following item, just like
"immediately following" is not complete without "item" in this sentence.

If you write

\markup { text \with-color #red }

you'll get an error, not because of "ordering" but because \with-color
#red is an incomplete construct.

--
David Kastrup