Re: docs about Rest vertical position

From: Martín Rincón Botero
Subject: Re: docs about Rest vertical position
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 22:09:37 +0200

Well, we're mostly agreeing ;-). I wouldn't support pointing out the downsides of note+rest as suggested by Kieren nor I'm sure that I agree it's useful to know about note+rest: if \tweak is the proper way to do it, let's document that instead.

On Sep 2, 2022 at 9:44 PM, <Jean Abou Samra> wrote:

Le 02/09/2022 à 21:31, Martín Rincón Botero a écrit :
> Hi Kieren,
>
> how do you think that this feature is more useful than \tweaking the
> y-offset? If the documentation explains how to move a rest, the
> officially recommended way should be using \tweak in my opinion. It's
> unclear to me what's the use case of the option of adding a note to a
> \rest (which in itself sounds like a contradiction). If we follow the
> WSIWYM paradigm, you can't possibly mean to put a "note-rest"
> somewhere. Perhaps not pointing that out or removing the feature
> altogether is better in the long run?

Reread Kieren's original message; I think you are exactly agreeing
with him :-)

The transposition problem can be worked around using

\version "2.23.12"

untransposable = \withMusicProperty untransposable ##t \etc

\transpose c f \voices 1,2 <<
   { \untransposable c''8\rest b e' d' }
   \\
   { g16^1 f^2 g a }

but of course, for this sort of use case, \tweak Y-offset is better in
the first place. I can't think of use cases where \rest is really what
you want, as opposed to \tweak Y-offset. Unless someone comes up with
an argument for it, I'd support a patch showing \tweak Y-offset in the
documentation and moving \rest to a footnote or undocumenting it altogether.
Whether its outright removal is desirable is another question.

This is veering into lilypond-devel territory, maybe we should continue the
discussion there? Alternatively, I'll be happy to continue on a patch
on GitLab :-)

Cheers,
Jean