Re: docs about Rest vertical position

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: docs about Rest vertical position
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 18:34:27 -0400

Hi Martín,

> how do you think that this feature is more useful than \tweaking the y-offset?

I don't, personally.  =)

> If the documentation explains how to move a rest, the officially recommended
> way should be using \tweak in my opinion.

I agree. I was simply offering a less… um… nuclear doc-revision option.

> It's unclear to me what's the use case of the option of adding a note to a
> \rest (which in itself sounds like a contradiction).

Much like a few other “seems like a great idea when you're a newbie” (which I
will refrain from explicitly mentioning here), I believe the main use case is
to make it really easy for new users to fix collisions or “hard-code” the rest
position, without introducing them to \override-ing and \tweak-ing.

> If we follow the WSIWYM paradigm, you can't possibly mean to put a
> "note-rest" somewhere. Perhaps not pointing that out or removing the feature
> altogether is better in the long run?

I agree.

Cheers,
Kieren