Re: Getting point and click going with gvim on Alma Linux

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Getting point and click going with gvim on Alma Linux
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 11:06:42 -0500

Just some jottings for your consideration.

On Mon 05 Sep 2022 at 09:46:44 (+1000), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Alma Linux I have prepared this set of instructions. I have tested
> this and there are two points in addition to the notes below.
>
> One, I am unable to get rid of the last line of the extensive status
> message gvim shows at the bottom when invoked with a remote call. This
> is puzzling - I am working on it.

Yes, I usually see one line of that message. It seems to be less
frequent if the first click takes you a reasonable distance down
the source file, and virtually always seen if the top of the
source is showing. Not being a vi-person, I have no idea how to
eliminated it. (I do have your .vimrc fragment below included.)

> Second, in 2.23.12 at least, there is an error, strangely only for
> gvim, in libexec/lilypond-invoke editor. Line 130 is missing a comma,
> and must be updated to:
>
>     "gvim": [("gvim", "--remote", "+:%(line)s:norm%(column)s",
> "%(file)s")],
>
> I have submitted a bug report request about this.

It looks as if this has always been in the new Python version,
so perhaps we can surmise that the developer wasn't a vim-person.

[ … ]

> The Guide to getting Point and Click going with Gvim under Alma Linux 9
>
> The NR has no detailed information about Lilypond point and click with
> gvim for
> Alma Linux. This note attempts to remedy that. Some information from
> the NR is
> copied here for ease of reference.

I think point-and-click was covered in Usage since 2.14.

[ … ]

> Setting the EDITOR variable
> ---------------------------
>
> Lilypond uses the environment variable EDITOR to select which editor
> to use to
> display point and click links. For gvim, simply use the value 'gvim':
>
> export EDITOR=gvim
>
> Setting LYEDITOR is not required.

For the new, Python, version of lilypond-invoke editor,
the preferred choice of variable is, in order of preference,
LYEDITOR, XEDITOR and EDITOR. Using LYEDITOR is specific to
point-and-click, and so you don't interfere with the usual
system-wide effects of EDITOR (eg with crontab, mutt, less,
more, midnight commander, etc. to name but a few).

> Running Gvim and Evince
> -----------------------
>
> Run gvim in server mode by doing - exactly nothing! Simply running gvim will
> start the process in a new window. From the terminal this suffixes:
>
> $ gvim
>
> By default gvim will respond to remote requests such as from
> lilypond-invoke-editor. There is no need to use the --servername
> option as the
> name defaults to GVIM (and you can see this in the title bar). By default
> lilypond sends point and click requests to the gvim server named GVIM.

If you prefer running a text version of vim (eg, in xterm/terminal/…),
you still need to add   --servername gvim   when you start vi/vim,
so that it captures the point-and-clicks.

This is because the servername "gvim" is hard-coded into
lilypond-invoke-editor as server to seek, but the server's name
defaults to the name by which it was invoked: ie, vi or vim.

Cheers,
David.