Re: Lilypond-book problem

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Lilypond-book problem
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 10:09:09 -0500

On Tue 06 Sep 2022 at 11:19:28 (+0200), Rip _Mus wrote:

> > project.
> > without success. I already add the folder "...\usr\bin" to the
> > environmental variabile path, in fact the command "lilypond" runs.

> > > thanks for the reply!  You're right, I could have added a few more
> > details.
> > > The operating system is Windows 10. For using Lilypond on command line,
> > I followed the instructions on the site.
> > > I added the folder "C:Program Files (x86)\LilyPond\usr\bin" to the
> > environmental variable “Path”.
> > >  I think I followed them well, as the "ilypond" command works.  The
> > other commands "lilypond-book" and "convert-ly" instead give me the
> > following message:
> > >
> > > 'lilypond-book' is not recognized as an internal or external command
> > >
> > > What I notice is that in the folder in question there are lilypond-book
> > and convert-ly scripts, but they are without extension (for example * .py)
> > >
> > > What do you think about?

> > Well, I had the same experience as you.  One solution is to type:
> >
> >     python3 "C:Program Files (x86)\LilyPond\usr\bin\lilypond-book"
> >
> > You could put that in a batch file somewhere in your PATH.  There may
> > be other solutions too.

> Ok!
> I tried and it works very well!
> Another solution is to add the extension ".ly" to the file name and then
> the command runs.

More likely you added .py ?

> I don't understand why it is not the way described in Lilypond manuals.
> Anyway, thank you so much for your help!

The archetypal system for Lilypond is un*x/linux, so the documentation
reflects that. Where Windows differs, that's often pointed out. See,
for example, Usage §2.2 Invoking convert-ly.

Unfortunately, the principal reference for Windows on the Command Line
doesn't mention this difference or give an example (lilypond itself is
a real EXE file, whereas all the support programs are Python scripts):

https://lilypond.org/windows.html

web.pdf page number 44, physical page 46.

Perhaps the reason is that the documentation writer(s) had set their
environment variable PATHEXT to include .py (or should it be .PY ?)
long ago, and have forgotten about it:

https://www.nextofwindows.com/what-is-pathext-environment-variable-in-windows

But sometimes that appears not to be the answer either:

https://superuser.com/questions/1619580/pathext-environment-variable-not-working

--

In researching this, I noticed that, on the web, the target of
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/web-big-page.html#windows

https://lilypond.org/windows.html

Disclaimer: I don't use Windows, so all is hypothetical.

Cheers,
David.