Score vs. Individual Parts

From: Greg Lindstrom
Subject: Score vs. Individual Parts
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:25:39 -0500

I have created my first full score for brass band and euphonium solo using Lilypond (and Frescobaldi). The score looks wonderful; I've had it bound at a local print shop and it looks downright professional. There are a number of things to correct and I've created an issue for each and will correct them and reengrave. Being a professional computer programmer, I went to the trouble of checking everything into a code repository (github) to ensure I can track all my changes and not lose all this work if my computer decides to die.

I've ordered the Lilypond manual from Lulu and plan to read through it to learn more about Lilypond; I do much better with printed media rather than electronic. but have questions:
  1. I'd like to place line and page breaks in the individual parts. Being a player, I appreciate when consideration is taken as to where page breaks fall. I have individual files for each part with the "notes" in a separate file and the score bringing everything together. Is it possible to place breaks in the part so it does not affect the score?
  2. The score looks best on 11" x 17" paper but the first print shop I contacted could not spiral bind anything that large (I found another shop which could do it and I'm glad I did). I set the paper size in the score to 8.5" x 11" and while things can fit, it is extremely cramped. Is there a setting to reduce the size of everything (staves, notes, dynamics, etc.) as I reduce the paper size?
  3. On the individual part, I'd like to place the instrument name in the upper left corner of the page. Currently, it is on the first staff.
  4. Can I place a header on the second and following pages which would show the title and page number of the piece in a smaller font than the first page?
Perhaps all of this is in the manual which will be arriving in the next few days. But any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help. I hope to start writing code snippets and answering questions as I gain more experience.

---greg