Re: How to enlarge the entire Lilypond output (pdf)

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: How to enlarge the entire Lilypond output (pdf)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 19:57:53 -0500

On Thu 15 Sep 2022 at 16:50:30 (-0700), Kenneth Wolcott wrote:

>   Perhaps I'm not searching the Lilypond documentation wisely, but I do not
> see a way to enlarge the entire Lilypond output in scale (staff, notes,
> text, everything).

Everything? including the paper?

>   Perhaps I have to modify the pdf itself?  If so, does that decrease the
> clarity/precision of the presentation?

Yes, if you want to make the music larger on each page, with
fewer measures/line and lines/page, and using more pages.

#(set-global-staff-size 20.0)   is the default. Increase or
decrease accordingly.

>   I'd like to control this globally, and, preferably, externally.

Oh, scratch the previous paragraph. Just find a viewer that's
able to increase and decrease the magnification. (Don't they all?)

>   My wife is trying to use the Lilypond pdf that I generate on her iPad and
> sometimes she tries to resize (enlarge) it and that fails.

That suggests that it's not obvious how you should be controlling
your viewer. Tyically, you'd put your fingers on the screen and
slide them apart to expand the display, or you'd select
magnification factors from a menu (or, as I do, have predefined
keystrokes, 0–9, z, h, w, that set preferred magnifications,
100–2000%, fit to page, height, or width).

So it depends on which you and your wife want.

Cheers,
David.