Re: LilyPond compared

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: LilyPond compared
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 07:50:14 +0000 (UTC)

> The comparison also shows something that looks a bit ugly (according
> to some people, and I tend to agree): the design of the natural
> sign.  Are there more people here who think the hole in the middle
> of the natural sign is too large and doesn't fit nicely on/between
> the stafflines?  Is there room for improvement here? Let's discuss.

I answered this on the group:

  Well, LilyPond's naturals are closely following Henle Urtext (the
  older ones, typeset by a manual engraver), which IMHO provides the
  most beautiful scores.  You must present *very* convincing arguments
  to make us change the shape...

Attached is an image from the Urtext edition of Schumann's
'Humoreske', typeset around 2009.

    Werner

PNG image