Re: is this a slashed grace?

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: is this a slashed grace?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:41:35 +0200

Hi Ken,

Am 16.09.22 um 04:58 schrieb Kenneth Wolcott:
  I asked this question regarding a different piece that I was engraving.  It looks like the slashed grace as shown in the Lilypond documentation is not the same as what I have engraved (there is no slash).

  Now another piece has come up with the same question.

  Maybe these aren't slashed grace notes?  Maybe (as usual) I'm doing something wrong?

  My input, my engraving and the origin I'm reading from are attached.

I think the "LilyPond" part of the question has been answered. Let me just provide some additional context.

Brahms wrote the grace notes like this:

(Taken from the last page of https://lccn.loc.gov/2008560637 - I had to download the PDF as the in-browser viewer displayed only black.)

This is No. 15 of the Brahms' Waltzes for 4-hand piano op. 39. They were so popular that Brahms arranged them _twice_ for 2-hand piano - a simplified version (from which the image above is taken) and a more virtuoso version (the Manuscript of which also is in the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/2008560644).

I recognize that even Brahms' "simplified" version is much more demanding for the pianist that your c major version, so that definitely has reason to exist; but I see no reason to write the grace notes differently from the way that Brahms himself wrote them.

For easier comparison, the above snippet is printed in the old Complete Editions like this:

Lukas