Re: LilyPond compared

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: LilyPond compared
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:57:24 +0200

As for the supposed objectivity of 'out of the box with no tweaking', only casual users would do no setting adjustments in any of these programs - the whole point is they are all very flexible.

I disagree with that claim. I'm typesetting new pieces for practical choir use almost on a weekly basis and I simply do not have the time to do setting adjustments unless it is very obviously broken.

It is fine that Dorico (and AFAIK Finale as well) provide a vast amount of tweaking possibilities to adjust spacing and other things.

For my every day use it is important how much or rather how little tweaking effort I have to invest to get a fairly decent job done.

In that department Lilypond trounces the competition.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: mgd@qata.de