Re: Different MIDI Velocity settings for different instruments?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Different MIDI Velocity settings for different instruments?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 01:14:39 +0200

Le 16/09/2022 à 23:28, Petr Pařízek a écrit :
Hello,

I made a LilyPond score for piano and 2 flutes.
When I examined the MIDI file, I discovered that all the Note On commands in the piano part had the Velocity parameter set to 90 while in both flute parts it was set constant at 62. May I know why different Velocity values are being used when I did not specify any requirement of that kind in my source ".ly" file?

There are several factors at play. MIDI velocity is determined
by interpolating between a minimum volume and a maximum volume
according to the dynamics (ppp is close to minimum, fff is close
to maximum), so it depends on which dynamic markings you have
in your score. Furthermore, the default for the minimum and
the maximum, if not overridden through the midiMinimumVolume
and midiMaximumVolume context properties, is chosen according
to the instrument. This is controlled by the instrumentEqualizer
property, as demonstrated in the snippet at the end of this
documentation section:

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/controlling-midi-dynamics#setting-midi-volume