Re: Lilypond

From: pagani laurent
Subject: Re: Lilypond
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 17:21:41 +0200

Hello Jean-Julien,

Thanks for the tip. Yes, in the Introduction to Lily, they introduce chords with <<>> and later they say, you only need <> but without much explanation.
It works indeed (the same system of voices as with Finale and possibly Muscore if I remember correctly).
The last detail is that sometimes, the shorter notes are not completed by rests (string instruments) but I sort of remember to have seen that rests could be masked, possibly the answer. 😄

Laurent

Le 18 sept. 2022 Ă  17:10, Jean-Julien Fleck <jeanjulien.fleck@gmail.com> a Ă©crit :

Hello Laurent,

Le dim. 18 sept. 2022 Ă  16:23, pagani laurent <laurent@pagani.space> a Ă©crit :
Unlike Latex editors (texstudio, or texshop e.g.), it does not have the list of reserved words/commands in lateral menus to retrieve quickly something you don’t remember. But I guess there are not so many things to remember at the end though I find some combinations a bit tricky.

Once you have written some scores, a grep on them can quite rapidly give you the needed words you know you already used. And if you remember how it begins, frescobaldi proposes some automatic completions.

I met another problem which is that Lily forces chords to have the same duration for all notes. Maybe it is because I have not read the advanced manual yet.
From what I’ve learned until now, I tried to guess a way out like : < c2 {e4 r}> but it does not work. It is possible ? It is very common to have notes of different durations running in parallel in the same staff.

Usually, you have to use several voices in parallel in order to achieve this

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice {\voiceOne a'2}
  \new Voice {\voiceTwo e'4 r}

Note that for parallel music, you have to use double brackets << ... >> whereas chords have simple ones < ... > (I remembered it was difficult to grasp for me at the beginning).

--
JJ Fleck
Physique et Informatique

Vieux dicton des pharaons ”si tu rames, cesse !”
Le Canard Enchaßné