Re: Lilypond

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Lilypond
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 17:45:31 +0200

Le 18/09/2022 à 17:35, pagani laurent a écrit :

It is correct that all notes belonging to the same chord do have the same duration

There are numerous counter-examples (for the strings at least) and then I guess that you consider that lines with different durations are parallel voices not chords. For example a very small part of first violin sonata from JS Bach, mixture of quavers and crotchets or quavers and semi-quavers without explicit rests…

Yes, these are voices, at least in LilyPond speak, but for most other
software as far as I know. This is only a question of terminology, really.
When notes are connected by a single stem, they are in the same voice.
When they are not, they are in two different voices. A voice can contain
several notes at the same time, but they need to have the same duration.

(though it is possible to change the note head for some notes to that of a different duration). Note that this behaviour is something you get from pretty much all notation softwares. If you want to notate parallel lines of different rhythm you should look into the handling of voices, see here https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices or even the whole section in the manual about simultaneous notes:
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/simultaneous-notes

Yes, that’s right. I have tones to read. But will I ever remember ?? It only works when one writes scores very often… I’m afraid.

Generally I’d suggest you to read chaper 1 of the manual, as this will cover most of the basic requirements you’ll have.

Thanks for the tips. You mean of the main manual, not the Introduction to ? which is the one I currently read.

In principle, the Notation Reference is something you use just to look
up something when you need a new type of notation. The Learning Manual
provides all the basics necessary to write most scores. It also has
a section on multiple voices.

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/simultaneous-notes

You will find it's also a chunk of text to read, but much less dense
than the Notation Reference.

Your mileage may vary, but this is how it's intended.

Worth noting that the Notation Reference has an appendix with a cheat
sheet covering most basic notation.

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/cheat-sheet