Re: pitch-class sets in lilypond

From: Stefan Thomas
Subject: Re: pitch-class sets in lilypond
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:47:53 +0200

Dear community,
this is so far my module for working with pitch-class sets.
If You want to try it, You should save the 2 files in the same folder.
I've added a snippet in Frescobaldi, which  works fine (at least for me):

-*- python;

import sys

sys.path.append('/yourfolder/stefanspcs')

import stefanspcs

text = stefanspcs.get_prime_from_lily(text)

text = stefanspcs.get_lilyfrom_prime(text)

print(text)

You can select some music (pitches only, no durations, and so on) and You will see the prime-form when You run Your the above qwoted

In this way You can do some other things with this module, if You're interested.

Best,

Stefan

Am Di., 20. Sept. 2022 um 21:31 Uhr schrieb Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>:

Le 20/09/2022 à 16:27, Lukas-Fabian Moser a écrit :

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Am 20.09.22 um 13:00 schrieb Stefan Thomas:
>> Dear community,
>> sorry, it's a bit an off topic: If You are not interested in
>> pitch-class set theory, You don't have to read the following.
>> I've worked on a python module dealing with pitch-class set theory as
>> I've read in "The structure of atonal music" by Allen Forte.
>> I know that there already exists some modules like that but I want to
>> integrate it in lilypond.
>> I'm still working on this module, but at the  moment I can do:
>>
>>   * Getting the normal form and prime form of a pcs.
>>   * Transposing and inverting a pcs
>>   * Finding subsets of a pcs given in primeform.
>>
>> I'm working on:
>>
>>   * Finding different kinds of similarity of pcs.
>>   * Getting subcomplexes k and kh of a pcs.
>>   * Finding primeform and so on, when pitches in lilypond-style are
>>     given.
>>   * Getting pitches in lilypond-style when pitches in midinote-nums
>>     or as pcs are given.
>>
>> Let me know it if You are interested. Maybee it's only something of
>> interest for nerdy persons like me, but maybee for others too.
>
> I don't know if this is of use to you, but I created a bunch of
> LilyPond routines for dealing with PC sets (like in Forte, but also
> with a finer equivalence relation not identifying a set with its
> inverse) last year. I attach it unchanged, as I don't have time to
> clean it up at the moment; you'll probably want to uncomment some of
> the routines at the end to see what the functions do.
>
> I'm curious: You write that you are working on a Python module; how
> does this integrate in LilyPond?

What does the include file dodeka.ily contain?