Re: N.C. No Chord poll

From: Amelie Protscher
Subject: Re: N.C. No Chord poll
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 21:09:04 +0200

Hi David, all,

>1. How many Lilyponders think that "N.C." is elegant?

It's the standard, and that's good enough for me.

>2. How many guitar teachers instruct their students to keep strumming when
>they see a rest?

It depends what's on the staff. If the vocal/melody line is notated, it makes
good sense to keep strumming in the rests between vocal phrases. Not every rest
is a break!

It makes sense to suppress N.C. only when the strumming pattern is expressly
notated on the staff.

>3. In what genres is it normative for guitars to continue strumming through
>every rest?

As noted above, not through any, but through many.

>4. If genres exist where it is normative for guitar players to strum
>throughout a rest, in these genres is it also normative for the other
>musicians to sustain or fiddle throughout a rest?

You're obviously confusing a rest within a voice with a general pause. The two
are not the same.

5-6 are too silly to answer.

>7. The decision with every LilyPond iteration not to allow a third option,
>namely, normative blank over the rest, i.e. suppress the "N.C." gimmick --
>what are the reasons which LilyPond insiders have found so persuasive over the
>years?

Blank should be an option among many. And to my knowledge, it exists.

>8. How many people feel that LilyPond is being clueless when it comes to
>making "N.C." the default setting?

If we take our clues from standard notation conventions, then questioning
"N.C." is either clueless or willful ignorance of standard practice.

>How can it be otherwise?

Why should it be?

Just my 2 cents,

Amy