Re: Custom text in repeats

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Custom text in repeats
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 17:23:01 +0200

Le mardi 30 mai 2023 à 16:50 +0200, Jakob Pedersen a écrit :

Dear Robin,

Thank you! How delightfully simple!

I should probably have inferred this from the example, and I apologise for not doing so and spamming the list with an idiotic question!

Perhaps the use of \text to add whatever text the user would want could be expanded upon in the documentation, but that's a minor issue, obviously, and perhaps not likely to crop up very often. To my knowledge, this is the only place the \text command is used.

Documentation edits happen in the development branch, which is currently the 2.25.x series, and in those versions, it's even more delightfully simple: you don't even need \text, it just works as-is. Change documented here.

Conversely, "1-4" isn't drawn in a music font anymore, so you would have to change it to use \markup \volta-number. Or you could just use \repeat volta and only override one text instead of expressing everything as repeat commands (which also yields a correct MIDI rendition):

\version "2.25.5"
\language "deutsch"

global = { \key b \major \time 4/4 }

\relative {
  \global
  \repeat volta 5 {
    b'4 a g f
    \alternative {
      \volta 1,2,3,4 {
        f f2 r4
      }
      \volta 5 {
        \once \override Score.VoltaBracket.text = "Efter sidste vers."
        f2 r2

(And the \text command is also being separately replaced with other commands, but that's another story.)

Best,

Jean