Re: Trying and failing to engrave a segno repeat with coda: More alterna

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Trying and failing to engrave a segno repeat with coda: More alternatives than repeats.
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 09:51:09 +0200

Le jeudi 08 juin 2023 à 22:56 -0700, Kenneth Wolcott a écrit :
> Hi;
>
> Trying and failing to engrave a segno repeat with coda:
>
> warning: More alternatives than repeats.  Junking excess alternatives
>
> Attachments:
>
> I have screenshots for the following from the original pdf I am
> transcribing from:
> (i) sego;
> (ii_ the "to coda";
> (iii) combined "ds al coda" and "Coda" [combined]
>
> (iv) the resulting pdf;
>
> (v) I have the output from Lilypond;
>
> (vi) My Lilypond source;
>
>   Again, must be missing something trivial and obvious :-(

You have things like this:

rh = {
  \global
  \clef treble
  \rh_i
  \repeat segno 2 {
    \rh_ii
  }
  \alternative {
    \volta 1 {
      \rh_iii
    }
    \volta 2 \volta #'() {
      \section
      \sectionLabel "Coda"
    }
    \rh_iv
  } \fine
}

Each element of the \alternative block is an alternative. Therefore, you
have three alternatives: \volta 1 { ... }, \volta 2 { ... }, and \rh_iv.
For a \repeat segno **2**, that is illogical.

Instead, you should put \rh_iv outside of the \alternative block.

Best,
Jean