Re: broken slurs shorter than ties

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: broken slurs shorter than ties
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:18:21 +0200

Le vendredi 16 juin 2023 à 05:37 +0000, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :

In my opinion, the worst flaw of LilyPond's otherwise excellent formatting, a flaw that essentially everyone encounters rather quickly, is that broken slurs are almost always shorter than broken ties (it should be exactly the opposite), which is butt ugly and sometimes really hampers readability.

#(set-default-paper-size "a6")

{
   d'4 e' g' d' |
   d'4 e' g' d'( ~ | \break
   d'4) e' f' d' |
   d'4 e' f' d' |
}

I know that the handling of slurs and ties is the big elephant in the room that nobody wants to touch because of its tremendous complexity;

I wouldn't really say that. I for one am not afraid of touching it, though it's not my current focus. Dan also made changes there a few months ago.

I'm thus looking for a manual, easy workaround to lengthen broken slurs instead.  While using \shape is certainly possible, it is not a quick solution IMHO because of its many parameters.

Any ideas?  The LSR doesn't have something into this direction, alas.

Cough, cough. I have found this to work:

\version "2.25.5"

#(set-default-paper-size "a6")

{
  d'4 e' g' d' |
  d'4 e' g' d'( ~ |
  \once \override Staff.KeySignature.break-visibility = #all-invisible
  \break
  d'4) e' f' d' |
  d'4 e' f' d' |
}

Looks like some invisible grobs are interfering.

Do we already have an issue for this problem?