Re: Periodic extra blank in between-systems spacing

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Periodic extra blank in between-systems spacing
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 23:40:35 +0200

Le mardi 20 juin 2023 à 11:50 -0400, PMA via LilyPond user discussion a écrit :

Dear LP List,

I've drafted a score for solo piano.  Its systems are of two types: either a PianoStaff (with the usual 2 internal staves) or a single independent Staff.  The systems are grouped into separate \score[s] by type -- i.e., each contains either PianoStaff[s] only or independent single Staff[s] only.

Within each group, between-system spacing is normal and consistent.  However, whenever the system-type changes (i.e., between the last system of one group and the first of the next), LP inserts a staff-sized blank space.  (This occurs even if I remove the multi-\score framing.)

So my question: How can I remove that space?  Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Instead of making one score per group of consecutive same-type staves, I would recommend keeping them all in the same score, using \RemoveEmptyStaves to hide the lower staff when it only has invisible rests. By default, the two staves of a PianoStaff are never removed separately (as that would be ugly when the piano part is embedded in an orchestral score), but you can allow it like so:

\version "2.24.1"

\layout {
  \context {
    \PianoStaff
    \RemoveEmptyStaves
    \remove Keep_alive_together_engraver

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff { c'1 d'2 d' \break e'1 f'1 \break g'1 }
  \new Staff { c'1 c'1 s1*2 c'1 }

Best,

Jean