Re: clef bass_16

From: Lib Lists
Subject: Re: clef bass_16
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 11:09:06 +0300

On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 at 12:24, Valentin Petzel <valentin@petzel.at> wrote:

> To be more general the clef modifier specifies a shift in steps where we start
> with 1 as unison. So as an octave is 7 steps n octaves will have a shift of
> 7*n, but we will add a 1 as we start with 1 = unison, which gives 0+1 = 1, 7+1
> = 8, 14+1 = 15, 21+1 = 22, ...
>
> Also the correct suffix would be 8va for ottava, but not 15va but 15ma for
> quindicesima, and similar then 22ma for ventiduesima.
>
> The suffix 8vb for the lower octavions is sadly quite common nowadays, but
> quite
> stupid. It essentially assumes that 8va would be a contraction of "ottava
> alta" and thus uses 8vb as "ottava bassa", when in fact 8va is only a
> contraction of "ottava".
>
> If anything one should use 8va alta or 8aa for "ottava alta" and 8va bassa or
> 8ab for "ottava bassa" (the va or the first a should be superscript, the a/b
> normal text). The use of 8vb for "ottava bassa" leads to confusion, for if a
> score uses 8va below the staff people will then be confused whether to
> octavate
> that part up or down.
>
> So it is better to avoid the use of 8vb and such, as it is not traditional
> notation, it will cause confusion and does not offer any additional
> information. The only case where this is relevant is when you notate an
> ottavation down above the stave, in which case 8va bassa is much clearer than
> doing 8vb.
>
> With regards to software both Finale and MuseScore have abandoned the use of
> 8vb and Dorico has opted for 8ba. The general preference seems to go in the
> direction of only printing the number, but if we print a suffix at this point
> 8vb is only advocated by Sibelius and the Lilypond glossary (which
> interestingly marks the 8va below as "unusual" as compared to the less
> traditional and more debated 8vb ... also the glossary suggests 15ma above the
> staff and 15va below the staff).
>
> Cheers,
> Valentin

I completely agree with you. My take is that ottava markings are such
a debated topic because of overlapping different traditions, increased
usage of instruments' lowest and highest range, the understandable
misunderstanding of abbreviations in Italian language, different
publishers preferences, etc.  My personal preference nowadays is to
use only the number, or '8va'. I don't like the highly disputed 8vb,
but I find it completely clear and it seems it is the standard in some
countries / communities.
Also the name of the sign itself can be confusing: is it a bracket, a
sign, a mark, or a line? I personally call it a line or a mark.
However, when I search for how to write it in Lilypond, I have to
remember to google 'ottava bracket'. Otherwise, if I search for
'octave mark' I get either the glossary page (where it is actually
called 'octave mark'), or Lilypond's octave changing mark (' or ,).

Cheers,
Lib