Re: Metronome marking with non-integer value

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Metronome marking with non-integer value
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 09:38:05 -0400

Hi all,

> P.S. Rational / decimal metronome markings can be useful for
> analytical purposes (performance studies, or rhythmically complex /
> generative music such as Nancarrow etc.). Also for music to be
> performed if the piece has i.e. (multiple) click tracks or conductors,
> or if it is music written for mechanical instruments.

1. Click tracks is definitely where non-integer metronome markings come up most
often, and are not only useful but downright essential.

2. I’m quite good at feeling/hearing/knowing tempi — in fact, several
colleagues and I have a running contest where one of us calls out a number
(representing a tempo marking), we each try to tap it out, and after comparing
to a metronome the person who is closest “wins” (usually a drink); the winner
is almost always ±2 (and usually ±1) of the metronome reference tempo. In 2007,
I was producing a studio recording (Pierrot ensemble plus percussion and two
singers). The composer of one of the pieces used non-integer metronome
markings, and those of us in the booth (including three of us involved in that
“running contest”) poked fun at the whole idea. At one point, the composer
stopped the take and said “That sounded more like 70 than 70.6”. We rolled our
eyes… but when we analysed the tempo in Pro Tools, he was absolutely right!
Until that recording session, I really had no idea that anyone could hear
fractional tempo differences that accurately.

Cheers,
Kieren

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.