Re: O Canada with Ukrainian lyrics

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: O Canada with Ukrainian lyrics
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 08:54:07 +0200

Le dimanche 25 juin 2023 à 23:30 -0600, ericmcintosh@mac.com a écrit :
I am totally new to Lillypond and want to compile lyrics and music to O Canada for a Canada Day BBQ this Saturday with 50 newcomers from Ukraine. I downloaded a version of the song sheet from this wiki site and added Ukrainian lyrics but I’m getting an error and don’t know how to interpret it to QA it.

Any help would be most greatly welcomed!!

A couple remarks.

First, the \version statement at the beginning tells the LilyPond version that was used to compile the file. 2.10.33 is, like really old (16 years old, to be precise). Over such long time spans, the syntax of LilyPond can and sometimes does change. To alleviate problems, we provide a tool called convert-ly that upgrades the syntax automatically. Bottom line: when you get a LilyPond file written for an older version, the first thing to do is to run convert-ly. If you are using Frescobaldi, it's in Tools > Update with convert-ly.

There are quite a few spacing and layout overrides. I don't know how exactly the default output of LilyPond 2.10.33 looked like, but I think the default output of current versions looks fine, so I've removed them in the attached file.

While LilyPond gives you the option to specify the duration of each lyric syllable, it's usually much more convenient to use auto-synchronization between notes and lyrics. In that case, when a lyric syllable spans several notes (a melisma), you just put a "_" for each syllable skipped.

When you get a "bar check error", it means there are wrong durations. The "|" symbol is there to help catch rhythm errors; it generates a bar check error whenever it is not placed at the boundary between two bars.

I've attached the result of modernizing your file and converting it to lyric auto-synchronization. There are still bar check errors that you will want to look at; I think that some words in the Ukrainian text are supposed to be hy -- phe -- na -- ted (so that each syllable is associated to a different note), but I can't place the -- myself since I don't know Ukraininian.

Best,

Jean