PDF file gets "-1" appended

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: PDF file gets "-1" appended
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 16:39:01 -0700

I've run into some odd behavior in LilyPond.  If your PDF-only is a score but your MIDI-only is a separate  book, the PDF file gets "-1" appended to the file name.  So for instance, with this code:

File name: test.ly

%%%
\version "2.25.6"

theNotes = { c'4 4 4 4 }

\score {
  \new Staff \theNotes
  \layout {}
}

\book {
  \score {
    \new Staff \theNotes
    \midi {}
%%%

...you get two files, one called "test-1.pdf" and another called "test.midi".  The work-around is to use \bookoutputName and name one of the files something other than "test", but ideally I would want "test.pdf" and "test.midi" as file names.

--
Knute Snortum