Re: Still failing to operate lilypond 2.20.0 64-bit version.

From: Ian West
Subject: Re: Still failing to operate lilypond 2.20.0 64-bit version.
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:38:49 +0100

Dear David (copied to Jean, and Paul,)
You are very kind. I shall give it a go. But I think you will have to agree that this is some 5 orders (***) of magnitude more complex than versions: 2.12.3, 2.18.2-1, and 2.20.0. I never would have got into Lilypond were I starting from here.

But you raise another problem; arm64 or x86_64? I read elsewhere "An Apple M1 or M2 processor is also sometimes referred to by the architecture name of aarch64 or arm64." Or maybe it does not matter.

Following the MacPorts route, I hit a bump. "Last login: Thu Oct  5 14:05:17 on ttys000

ianwest@Ians-MacBook-Air ~ % sudo port install lilypond

Password:

Error:

Error: No Xcode installation was found.

Error: Please install Xcode and/or run xcode-select to specify its location.

Error:

Error: Port lilypond requires a full Xcode installation, which was not found on your system.

Error: You can install Xcode from the Mac App Store or https://developer.apple.com/xcode/

Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets if you believe there

is a bug.

Error: Processing of port lilypond failed

ianwest@Ians-MacBook-Air ~ %",
and do not know why this is required. Perhaps I am being naive; should I download a zipped lilypond package before trying to install it? Or is it integral to the MacPorts business? Well, I tried that, placing the unzipped download in the same directory as the MacPorts, but with the same result (needing the full set of tools). So I started to download the mentioned "tools"; but when I was told it would take 43 hours I aborted.

(*** The installation of version 2:24.2 assumes that I know how to use terminal, how to use MacPorts, know the difference between arm64 and x86_64 (all I know is that I am using an "Apple M2 chip"), difference between a tar.bz2 package or a tar.gz one, that "darwin" mean "MacOS", and much more.  Compared with simply clicking, or double clicking. a zipped package.)

I think Lilypond is spiralling out of my universe. And perhaps out of general usefulness.  Pity!  Another day gone from my dwindling stock. There is still the music to play!

Ian
---
Ian West
9 Thenford Road, Middleton Cheney,
BANBURY, OX17 2NB,
Tel: 01295 713 889; (Mobile: 07474 572 588)