Re: Organ pedal marks in various styles, including pedal glides: new sni

From: Fernando Gil
Subject: Re: Organ pedal marks in various styles, including pedal glides: new snippet 1184
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:41:32 -0500

This is extremely helpful, thank you so much!

El mar, 9 abr 2024 a las 6:40, Rudolf Cardinal (<rnc1001@cam.ac.uk>) escribió:
Dear Lilypond users with an interest in organ music,

Lilypond's standard commands for organ pedal marks are: \lheel, \ltoe, \rheel, \rtoe. However, there are several recognized ways of displaying pedal marks visually. I struggled a little to get Lilypond's organ pedal marks into a style that I was most familiar with. I note previous discussion about this and related issues at e.g.

I've created a snippet to address this. It allows you to pick the pedal mark style:
  • Lilypond default with outward-pointing toes and outward-pointing heels;
  • "modern" with inward toes and circle heels (e.g. Trevor 1971, "The Oxford Organ Method");
  • "traditional" with upward toes and downward heels (e.g. Bach/Novello 1948).

After choosing the style, you can use standard pedal commands.

The snippet also defines some new pedal indicator commands, including for heel/toe transitions; foot slide marks (for sliding a foot forward/backward on a pedal); "foot behind"/"foot in front" marks, for crossing feet; "foot forward/backward" marks, for when feet are adjacent; and "foot substitution" (foot change, foot transition) marks, for swapping feet whilst pressing a single pedal. These augmented marks follow Trevor (1971, as above), and can be used with any of the pedal mark styles.

Finally, it defines an engraver allowing foot glide/glissando marks using the standard "\glide" command.

The snippet is at https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=1184. It includes a demonstration, but that can be chopped off to provide a file for inclusion by any other music, as described in the snippet.

Many thanks to Thomas "Harm" Morley for feedback, and to all those who maintain Lilypond and the Lilypond Snippet Repository, including Sebastiano Vigna and Werner Lemberg.

all the best,
Rudolf.