Re: [Linphone-users] Sync problem with Asterisk??

From: Simon MORLAT
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Sync problem with Asterisk??
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:18:06 +0200

Hello;

Thanks, I'm pleased to know that you had a quite good linphone experience !
Let me answer to your questions:

What do I do?
1) Is there a way to use speex, Linphone and Asterisk without the buffer
problem?
I think there is a problem with speex in 0.12.2. The version embedded in linphone tarball is not compatible with the way linphone use it (hum). So may want to recompile and install the lastest version of speex, then recompile linphone so that it use the installed version instead of the embedded one.

2) How do I fix this suspected synchronization/overrun problem?
I 'm nearly 100% sure that linphone is well and precisely synchronised: I mean that it emits and receive RTP packets with timestamps correlated to the wallclock ( the hardware clock of the pc as returned by gettimeofday()).
The problem should be in asterisk.

3) Why does changing the jitter buffer create such awful noise and
broken voice?
I don't know... Strange thing.

By the way, at your suggestion, I replaced all my Intel i810 drivers
with Alsa drivers.  Thanks - John
That was a very good idea.

PS - here are some console message from Linphone.  I do not know if they
are significant but they look unhealthy:
All those messages are normal; but I can see something interesting with the RTP stats at the end:

packet_sent=10328
packet_recv=6564

Linphone has received less packets than he has sent. In a full duplex voip
session with same codecs in both direction (like it is usually the case), this
is not normal. It means that packet output rate from asterisk is too low.
Normally, asterisk should output 8000 samples/second, so 8000 bytes/second, for
example 50 packets/s with 20ms (160bytes) of audio in each packet.
This gives you some ideas to dig...
Simon

** Message: Sending dtmf 1
MediaStreamer-Message: Sending DTMF.
** Message: Sending dtmf 1
MediaStreamer-Message: Sending DTMF.
** Message: Sending dtmf 1
MediaStreamer-Message: Sending DTMF.
| INFO1 | <nict_callbacks.c: 30> Transaction 11 killed.

| INFO1 | <osipdialog.c: 1918> Dialog is removed. It remains 1 dialog(s)
in the ua list.

** Message: Sending dtmf 2
MediaStreamer-Message: Sending DTMF.
** Message: Sending dtmf 1
MediaStreamer-Message: Sending DTMF.
** Message: Sending dtmf 1
MediaStreamer-Message: Sending DTMF.
** Message: Sending dtmf 1
MediaStreamer-Message: Sending DTMF.
** Message: Sending dtmf 2
MediaStreamer-Message: Sending DTMF.
MediaStreamer-Message: Mediastreamer processing thread is exiting.
oRTP-stats-Message:
  Global statistics :
packet_sent=10328
sent=1510937 bytes