Re: [Linphone-users] regarding linphonec

From: Jamey Hicks
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] regarding linphonec
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:57:56 -0400

Vasantha Kumar Puttappa wrote:

Deal all,
 I have a unusual problem regarding linphonec. I am using linphone-1.0.1
and libosip-2.2.2.0. I cross-compiled linphonec successfully and ported
it on PDA(simputer).

  Now the problem is during night time, voice quality is too good with
around 2 seconds of delay. Whereas during daytime it's too bad and also
linphonec will get hanged. Can anybody suggest me a solution or
direction ?

2 seconds of delay? First, check round trip ping times to see how much delay there is in the network. I've seen 2 seconds on GPRS, but not on other networks. You might be experiencing congestion problems during the day, causing poor audio due to many dropped packets. More likely, you're using OSS sound drivers and it's buffering lots of audio and causing long delays. In our experience, ALSA drivers seem to be much better than OSS for interactive applications.

Jamey