Re: [Linphone-users] Alsa makes no noise

From: Marcel Karras
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Alsa makes no noise
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:20:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

is linphone capable of playing stereo? In order to get any noise I had to
set the "channels" variable in "mediastreamer/alsacard.c" manually to the
value of 2. After this I got a ring and the "Hello, this is Simon
speaking..." sound. ;) But: The sounds are played with many xruns, too
quick and discontinuoued.
By just using one channel there's no sound and the hw_params proc file
shows the state of being in XRUN. As you can see I really got stuck and
don't know how to solve this problem. I can play and record simultaneously
by doing the following:

arecord -f S16_LE -r 8000 |aplay -f S16_LE -r 8000

If I try a higher rate than 8000 there'll be xruns. I even changed the
"unsigned long" period variable of the au1x00.c driver to "int" without
any effect. The alsa people pointed me to linphone as arecord/aplay works
with 8000 Hz. Linphone uses 8000 Hz, too. Playing around with the buffers
in "alsacard.c" makes things sounding different but there're still xruns
and sounds tingling like 8000 Hz converted to 44100 Hz. (Donald Duck
voices ;)

Any further ideas?
- Marcel