[Linphone-users] Re: [Linphone-developers] Mesuring speech quality with

From: Eduardo Bezerra
Subject: [Linphone-users] Re: [Linphone-developers] Mesuring speech quality with linphone
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:45:41 -0400

Hi,

1.   The ctl->adaptative=TRUE change was a mistake. We were testing
your jitter buffer implementation and forgot to remove this line.

2.    I agree with you that qos trace files can be useful more for researchers,
students and benchmarkers than for end-users. But we can think in some
interesting improvements for linphone as future work like:
a. The end user could be benefited by Network Management works. A VoIP
Service could be more efficient if the network has some Management.
But, Network Management needs a "Management Information Base" (MIB).
Linphone can help here, feeding the MIB. This MIB can be fed by standard
reports like RTCP-XR (RFC 3611). In some fields of this extended report
voice quality information must be reported. As you can realize, if you don't
have extended reports, you will not have fed MIB's. If you don't have fed
MIB's, you will not have Network Management. And finally, if you don't have
Network Management, the end-user will not have a better service.

b. While these extended reports aren't implemented, the end-user
can be benefited by more information about calls. I think that
knowing the voice quality during calls could be interesting to the
end-user.

c. As you said, researchers, students, benchmarkers and developers
can be benefited by this information too.

--
Eduardo Bezerra Valentin
Bacharelado em Ciência da Computação - DCC - UFAM