Re: [Linphone-users] linphone access when a firewall is involved...

From: William Bulley
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] linphone access when a firewall is involved...
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:04:44 -0400

According to Michael Grigoni <address@hidden>:

> Please describe your firewall/border router setup; RTP payloads
> need to be adjusted when using NAT and this requires special
> capabilities in the border router.  We run OpenBSD and RTP
> Proxy at the border (also SER) to accomplish what you are
> trying to do.

Gladly.  Thanks.  I am encouraged to hear this, but still confused.

I am using m0n0wall 1.22 (FreeBSD 4.11 based using IPfilter, IIRC)

My internal linphone system has a static, publicly routeable IP
address to go with my internal, non-routeable, RFC-1918 (net ten)
IP address and the two are married using m0n0wall's NAT 1:1 feature.

This works just fine for most things.  In fact, the linphone problems
I described are the first hiccups in my use of m0n0wall to date.

It may also be correct to say that m0n0wall is my border router, but
I'm not as sure of that statement.  I have used OpenBSD in the past,
but I prefer FreeBSD.  I have not heard of RTP Proxy.  Can you explain?

I hope this helps to explain the situation.  I can go into even more
detail should that be necessary.  There are two users involved:

   locally:    address@hidden   (using m0n0wall)

and

   remotely:   address@hidden  (using Linysys)

My linphone tries to contact him using <sip:address@hidden> and succeeds.

This works, in that we can talk using the "chat" feature of linphone.
But no audio (no RTP packets?), sigh...  :-(

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: address@hidden