Re: [Linphone-users] up sample from 8000hz to 48000hz possible ?

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] up sample from 8000hz to 48000hz possible ?
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:47:24 +0200

Le mercredi 7 juin 2006 15:16, mcquaid mcquaid a écrit :
> I am interested in this as well, as I have the same issue with rates.  I've
> tried with dmix but it doesn't seem to upsample properly.
>
> I was curious why you said 1.3.99.4 was necessary if it's an issue only
> solved by alsa.
I just meant that with current stable branch it's difficult to use default
device since you need to add a line manually in the config file...
With 1.3.99 you just need to click on the alsa device you need.
I don't have problems with dmix with my intel8x0 chipset.

> My other issue with sound is I want to use dmix for output but not input as
> this causes breakups on a lot of soundcards mic in.  Is there a way to
> specify hw for input?
Yes of course.

> Also, in trying to solve this rate issue other ways, can one configure
> linphone to use esd or jack?  I know normally, I wouldn't want to introduce
> more latency, but if one of those upsample properly I'd take the delay.  Is
> there current documentation on the config file?
You can use artsd (need arstc devel file to build linphone with artsd
support). But personnaly I prefer dmix/dsnoop.

I had to manually change my asoundrc to tune some parameters (otherwise there
were really alsa problems):

# Set default sound card
# Useful so that all settings can be changed to a different card here.
pcm.snd_card {
     type hw
     card 0
}

# Allow mixing of multiple output streams to this device
pcm.dmixed {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        slave {
            pcm "snd_card"
            period_time 0
            period_size 2048
            buffer_size 4096
            rate 44100
        }
        slave.pcm "snd_card"
}

# Allow reading from the default device.
# Also known as record or capture.
pcm.dsnooped {
        type dsnoop
        ipc_key 2048
        slave{
                pcm "snd_card"
                channels 2
                period_size 1024
                buffer_size 4096
                rate 44100
                periods 0
                period_time 0
        }
}

# This is what we want as our default device
# a fully duplex (read/write) audio device.
pcm.duplex {
     type asym
     playback.pcm "dmixed"
     capture.pcm "dsnooped"
}

###################
# CONVERSION PLUG #
###################
# Setting the default pcm device allows the conversion
# rate to be selected on the fly.
# duplex mode allows any alsa enabled app to read/write
# to the dmix plug (Fixes a problem with wine).
pcm.!default {
     type plug
     slave.pcm "duplex"
}