Re: [Linphone-users] Re: Bad R-URI in REGISTER via proxy

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Re: Bad R-URI in REGISTER via proxy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 21:56:13 +0200

> Ok. Tell me, what's the meaning of SIP proxy field, if register toggle
> is off.
>
> It's supposed to be a proxy for first outgoing request, but
> subsequential replies and requests go directly (i.e. difference between
>  proxy and outbound proxy)?

Not really.
If register is not toggled and route not set, thus it just tells linphone 2
things:
- use the sip address given in the identity field
- and if you type a username or a phone number (ex: 'petr.pisar'
or '87975276873' ) in the sip uri bar, this will actually
call 'sip:address@hidden' or 'sip:address@hidden'.

But if you call sip:address@hidden the request won't go through
myproxy.net

to sumurize:
* SIP proxy: a host name running a SIP proxy or registrar or redirect server
or gateway or whatever. This name is used if you don't use the sip syntax but
just call numbers or usernames.
* identity: your account name on this proxy such as sip:address@hidden
* register: if toggled send a register to the proxy: this is useful if you
want other users to call you at sip:address@hidden (supposing the
proxy has the registrar capability)
* route: the sip proxy to send all requests:  can be empty (don't route
requests through a particular host), can be the proxy itself of another
proxy, this proxy being called the outbound proxy.

Simon