Re: [Linphone-users] ADSL modem crash when using linphone-2.0.0

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] ADSL modem crash when using linphone-2.0.0
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:11:57 +0000

On Thursday 22 November 2007, VoVaN wrote:
Snip previous discussion...
> I'm using "voip" overlay ("layman -a voip" will help), but the new linphone
> still isn't there. I just renamed the latest ebuild and adjusted SOURCE.
> Herewith I attached the ebuild, however you have to use voip overlay anyway
> because of the package dependencies. Would be nice if you can test it. I've
> never used linphone before, is voice quality is good for 1.7.x versions?

Thanks for the ebuild. I'll try to fit it in over the weekend on both 32 bit
and 64 bit.

I mostly use 1.7.1 on a 350MHz k6-2 with a yealink p1k USB handset and the
yeaphone interface to the CLI version of linphone. All controll is on the
phone so you can use it headless. Limiting factor for the voice quality is
the handset not the software. With better hardware it's certainly no worse
than any other softphone I've used, though I haven't used softphones as much
since getting Aastra SIP hardware. The only one I really remember having
trouble with is Twinkle. It's got a great GUI but I've never managed to get
breakup-free voice on any of 3 machines.