Re: [Linphone-users] Problem with private IP address and picky registrar

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Problem with private IP address and picky registrars
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:23:50 +0100

On Saturday 18 July 2009, Christian Schäfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems connecting to a specific registrar when I'm behind a
> NAT router. In this case, the private IP address seems to get
> transmitted to the registrar which seems picky about that. The error
> message is:
>
> SIP/2.0 479 Please don't use private IP addresses
>
> This is a known issue with some registrars.
> I had this also with another voip software under Linux and I hoped that
> Linphone behaves differently in such a scenario.
> Does this sound familiar, did anyone experience the same?

Sounds like a configuration issue. IIRC linphone allows you to specify the
external IP and will actually use it. I haven't looked at it in a long time
though as I started using an outbound proxy, in my case siproxd. It makes the
firewall configuration much easier, and stops the problems that can occur with
some configurations of NAT at both ends of the call.