[Linphone-users] Re: STUN

From: Petr Pisar
Subject: [Linphone-users] Re: STUN
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:42:43 +0000 (UTC)

On 2009-11-20, Prashanth <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am testing the STUN support in linphone.
>
> My setup is behind a symmetric NAT.
>
> I read in lot places that STUN doesnot work with the symmetric NAT.
>
> Is there anyway to test the STUN without disturbing my present NAT
> setup (i> e symmetric NAT).

STUN itself is just a NAT type detector. It's designed to distinguish
between different NAT types and if possible, provide working port
mapping to the application.

Thus nothing prevent you in symmetric NAT and STUN testing by
definition :)

However if you want to test linphone nad symmetric NAT pass through, you
will get disappointing results as you `read in lot places'. In that case
linphone (and any other application) needs SIP + RTP media proxy on
fixed address in the Internet too fullfill symmetric NAT constraints.

Thus if you can, install SIP+RTP proxy on the NAT box. This makes SIP
usage behind NAT much more easier.

E.g. Linux has a simple proxy implemented in kernel as NAT helper
(nf_conntrack_sip module, where you can controll the proxy promiscuity
level by sip_direct_signalling and sip_direct_media module parametres).

Other well suited proxy in user space is siproxd. And of course you can
configure some havy SIP server for proxy purposes too.

-- Petr