Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 3.X and pulse audio

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 3.X and pulse audio
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:44:43 +0000 (GMT)

Hetz Ben Hamo <address@hidden>
> So my question: is there any way to make linphone work with Pulse Audio? I
> tried "padsp linphone-3" and that didn't work (I can hear the ring but no
> one can hear me, and I'm using USB microphone).
>
> Is there a plan to move from ALSA/OSS to Pulse Audio? SuSE/Ubuntu/Fedora are
> all using pulse audio by default now.

Can you move the microphone from Pulse Audio to ALSA and use linphone's
ALSA support?  (USB microphones are often supported as ALSA devices by
snd-usb-audio in my experience.  I use one.)

http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/FAQ#CanIgetOSSandALSAapplicationstoworkwithPulseAudio
suggests that you might be able to do it another way, but you'd need
to install and configure a PulseAudio backend for ALSA.

padsp should work, but you'd need to configure linphone to use OSS
devices instead of the usual ALSA ones.

In general, what is the point of Pulse Audio and does it have good
enough performance for linphone?  http://pulseaudio.org/ says "it
allows you to do advanced operations on your sound data as it passes
between your application and your hardware" but I thought ALSA plugins
can do that.  The only benefit I'm not sure whether ALSA already has
seems to be "transferring the audio to a different machine".

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software