Re: [Linphone-users] linphone & tandberg with H264

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] linphone & tandberg with H264
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:07:43 +0100

Good to know the lastest plugin solved the problem !
No, linphone never upscales the video before encoding it. The video
resolution of the outgoing stream is controlled by the 'preferred video
size' dropdown list in the property window, in the multimedia tab.
Of course if bandwidth settings are too low, linphone might decide to
choose a lower resolution.
H263 is limited to QCIF, support for this codec is minimalist as it is
obsolete.
Use H263-1998 instead. However with this codec linphone will signal to
the far end to be only able to receive CIF. You can change this setting
by editing coreapi/linphonecore.c and replacing the "CIF=1;QCIF=1"
string by "4CIF=1".
Personnaly for HD (well SVGA currently) I recommend MP4V-ES (mpeg4),
because it is not consuming a lot of CPU, gives a reasonable quality and
is well supported everywhere.
When using H263-1998, support for VGA family sizes is coded as an
extension into the bitstream, which can make sometimes interoperability
problems. Bare H263 specification only supports QCIF,CIF and 4CIF.

Simon