[Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements

From: Liviu Andronic
Subject: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:23:56 +0100

Hello

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 12:10:18 +0100, Simon Morlat <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Liviu,

Thanks for the typo correction.

The link you suggest for bandwidth checking doesn't work for me (linux
with sun java 6). The java applet has an exception and fails to start.

It works here on Xubuntu 10.04 with sun java 6. It takes a disturbing amount of time and CPU cycles to load (about 1-2min), but at a point the white box turns into smth usable. It works in Firefox, and even in Opera.

Perhaps others on the list know a better testing service?

Concerning bandwidth expressed in ko/s instead of kbits/s, well maybe it
is apparently a matter of local uses. Here nobody talks about kilo bytes
for network bandwidth. There are always expressed in kbits/seconds.
Are there any experiences regarding that from other people in this
list ?

As far as I understand, network usage happens indeed in kbit/s. So I guess it's better to leave it that way. It seems to me a good workaround to FAQ a working testing service that gives results in kbit/s, and indicating in the bandwidth tooltip that the user should check the FAQ before changing those settings. This would probably help avoid confusion.

Cheers
Liviu

Simon