Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 12:33:49 +0000

Here (UK) bandwidth is almost always expressed in kbits/second too. This is
true both for codec bitrates and for network connections like 3G, ADSL and
cable. The only exception I can think of is the download speed shown when
saving a file in a web browser.

To some extent it doesn't matter what the units are though. With the iOS and
Android clients we will be seeing more people who don't know, or want to know,
the difference between bits and bytes. They just want something that works, or
some advice on how to get it working easily. The FAQ needs to put it in terms
they can understand, and let them know what to expect in terms of quality,
reliability and the sort of network you can typically use it on. Perhaps a
table something like this:

Speed   Quality Reliability     Typical network type
128kb/s lowest  highest 3G (if not too congested), ADSL far from exchange
???kb/s low             high            most ADSL
???kb/s high            low             fast ADSL
????kb/s        highest lowest  Cable

I'll leave it to someone who uses video to supply some reasonable numbers. It
might be good to mention the obvious, like potential data charges increase as
the bitrate increases, or your call may be breaking up because your son just
started downloading the latest ubuntu iso.

Another approach would be a general instruction to start at the minimum, and
increase until quality is good enough. If you step up and the picture breaks
up then step down again , as that's as quick as your connection can handle.

For the future we could look at giving some diagnostic feedback and advice if
the datastream is lossy or can't keep up. Perhaps an indicator that you can
click to reduce bitrate and reconnect the call? I guess if it was reasonable
to approximate adaptive bitrate through reinvites everyone would be doing it.