Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:29:32 +0000

On Tuesday 15 March 2011, Dragos D wrote:
> > Another approach would be a general instruction to start at the minimum,
> > and
> > increase until quality is good enough. If you step up and the picture
> > breaks
> > up then step down again , as that's as quick as your connection can
> > handle.
> >
> > For the future we could look at giving some diagnostic feedback and
> > advice if
> > the datastream is lossy or can't keep up. Perhaps an indicator that you
> > can click to reduce bitrate and reconnect the call? I guess if it was
> > reasonable
> > to approximate adaptive bitrate through reinvites everyone would be doing
> > it.
>
> These are some of the reasons for which, in general, Skype is a better
> solution. It can change on the fly the bitrate and adapt the image
> parameters accordingly. I say "in general" because sometimes I was not
> satisfied with their choices. They can adapt the resolution, framerate...
> to a chosen bitrate ( determined upon analyzing the network conditions).
> It can actually do 640x480 at 40 kbits/sec (if I remember correctly) !!!
> This I something I could not do with h.264 or any other available codec.

I gave up on Skype when it couldn't reliably do 2-way audio through my
firewall, and there was no information on how to fix it because it's supposed
to "Just Work (tm)". Getting SIP working took some doing, but it's
sufficiently open that it was possible if I put the effort in. The target
should be to get the best of both; something that usually Just Works, but that
is fixable on the rare occasions that it doesn't, and can be tweaked to better
suit specific situations by anyone sufficiently clued up.