Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:49:10 +0000

On Tuesday 15 March 2011, Dragos D wrote:
> > > I gave up on Skype when it couldn't reliably do 2-way audio through my
> > > firewall, and there was no information on how to fix it because it's
> >
> > supposed
> >
> > > to "Just Work (tm)". Getting SIP working took some doing, but it's
> > > sufficiently open that it was possible if I put the effort in. The
> > > target
> > >
> > > should be to get the best of both; something that usually Just Works,
> > > but
> >
> > that
> >
> > > is fixable on the rare occasions that it doesn't, and can be tweaked to
> >
> > better
> >
> > > suit specific situations by anyone sufficiently clued up.
>
> And there seems to be at least one Skype proxy:
> http://ktiml.mff.cuni.cz/~verner/index.php?action=static&spec=download

It says: "A program for forwarding TCP/IP connections over Skype."

I filed Skype under "doesn't play well with others" long ago. It wasn't until
they tried to crack the business market that they even considered
interoperability, and it's still not aimed at end users. There are probably
ways of getting it working, but I haven't had a compelling reason to try since
I got SIP working. I'll take open and interoperable over closed single vendor
any day.