Re: [Linphone-users] Feature Request: Ringtone per line...

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Feature Request: Ringtone per line...
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:01:52 +0100

On Wednesday 30 March 2011, Custom Processing Unlimited wrote:
> I realize it will be a LONG time before VOIP/SIP is capable of having an
> individual ringtone for each member of a contact list like cell phones do,

There's nothing to stop SIP clients doing this. The caller is presented, so it
just needs a lookup to see if there is a ringtone associated with the caller.
The biggest problem is probably the lack of a ringtone field in most standard
addressbook formats. How easy it is to retrofit this to an existing client is
another matter.

> but I would sincerely love the ability to have a different standard
> ringtone for each of my individual accounts.  I have a personal line and a
> business line that are both SIP.  Linphone doesn't actually differenciate
> on which "line" or account a call is coming from (which would also be a
> nice feature to add), so I'd like a way to do so via the ringtone.
> Twinklephone has accomplished this very well and has had such a feature
> for a long time.  I mention them because it may be a good base to work
> from since that implementation works, and works well... SFLPhone, however,
> is not well implemented (as it's primary "IP2IP" line is the only ringtone
> that actually works, even though they have options to set ringtones per
> account, they are overridden by IP2IP).  If this is feasible within your
> current coding framework, that would be great.  If not, that's fine.  But
> I'd rather request and be denied then not request at all.

This could get fun whey both you and the caller have multiple SIP identities!
I expect one ringtone per identity and some simple precedence rules would be
better than trying to remember a matrix of ringtones.