[Linphone-users] Repeated "registration failures" with Linphone 1.0.3 on

From: Matthew Bradley
Subject: [Linphone-users] Repeated "registration failures" with Linphone 1.0.3 on iOS 4.3.1
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 10:32:07 -0700

Hi Linphone team,

First, my huge apologies for the stream of error messages that came through in the previous posting. They were attached as a text file to my previous email with content as below, and all that came through was the error messages.

Here's the rest of the posting:

I have been using Linphone 1.0.3 on an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.3 for several months. It was working perfectly. I use it when connected to a wifi network - home, coffee shop etc to make outgoing calls via a VOIP provider - sip.freecall.com.

A few days ago I upgraded to iOS 4.3.1.

Since upgrading I find that whenever I switch to Linphone, I usually get an error box telling me that "Registration failure SIP server unreachable, with a continue button". I tap on continue but usually another box pops up multiple times. I've just spent some time trying to recreate the problem with the following results:

  • Turn off wifi, wait, turn on wifi - no errors, connection is fine.
  • Move out of range of wifi, move back into range of wifi - error message displayed. Tap on continue once or twice.
Attached is the console from my test when I got the error message; it looks like Linphone is streaming the error:

socketeXopsip: Reseting timer to 10s before waking up! Could not read

My usual workaround is to terminate Linphone and restart in, after which Linphone has always successfully registered with the SIP provider.

I also have another voip app installed which has tigher integration with the VOIP provider (auto login to provider website, display of remaining credit), but the call quality is not as good as Linphone nor is the user interface - so big thumbs up to Linphone. The other app, however, is not suffering from this connection problem.

The only thing that I am aware of that has changed is the upgrade to iOS 4.3.1.

If you are looking for a tester, I'd be happy to help out. I have an iPhone developer licence etc.

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew