Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 3.4.1 on iPhone disconnects on standby

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 3.4.1 on iPhone disconnects on standby
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 12:04:36 +0100

On Friday 23 September 2011, David wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> A friend of my installed "SIP Fone" on his Apple iPhone, it looks like
> it's actually Linphone 3.4.1.

I'm not familiar with the iPhone version of linphone, though I know there is
one. Is "SIP Fone" a clone?

> As soon as his phone goes into standby, the phone stops responding to
> the server. I did some packet tracing, the server is sending an OPTION
> packet every 15 seconds and the phone is answering with an OK.
>
> Trouble is when the phone goes into standby, it stops answering the
> OPTION packets, it doesn't answer INVITE either. When the phone comes
> back out of standby, it registers again as it if were a brand new
> connection.

I think this is known. Check the linphone-developers list archive for thread
"Linphone iPhone background incoming call problem". In short iOS 4.3 dropped
support for UDP background connections, and it doesn't only affect linphone.
They're looking for a workaround.

> What's weird is both skype and cell phone calls ring through, but the
> SIP Fone stops working as soon as it goes into standby.

skype may be using TCP, or have found a workaround. Cell calls don't use data.

> ( Standby might be the wrong word, it goes into this mode when he
> doesn't use the phone for a while or press the small button on the top
> of the phone ).
>
> What do I do?

Wait, and hope they find a workaround?