Re: [Linphone-users] no RTP traffic over vpn

From: Gelonida
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] no RTP traffic over vpn
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 11:21:35 +0100

Reposting, as I don't find my post from yesterday

I have the same problem and found a rather ugly work around.
Is there any cleaner solution??

On 12/30/2011 12:20 AM, Konrad Karl wrote:
Dear all,

(Linphone 3.5 on Fedora 16 x86_64)
running self compiled linphone under Windows

I have two machines on different locations which are connected to the
interet via nat router and adsl. (both machines get DHCP addresses in
the 192.168.1.x range)

same setup: two locations, but identical subnet masks for both

Both machines are also connected together using openvpn. The IP
addresses are something like 10.100.0.x on /dev/tunX. The option
to route all traffic over the vpn interface is not set.
same setup

When trying to call the other party directly over the vpn without
using a registrar at all like this:  sip:address@hidden
the ringtone rings at the 10.100.0.10 machine but no voice/video
traffic is sent over the vpn - everything goes to the
192.168.1.x default route and is then lost in the wilderness.
same setup.
I am using openser as registrar on teh VPN server (10.100.0.1)

I would like that Linphone detects that the destination is reachable
directly via openvpn (the situation is similar to having a second
network card + extra cable) and use the proper  IP source addresses
and interface.
same for me.
I'd like to force linphone to use the VPN interfaces IP address instead of its default Internet IP address (ethernet or WLAN)

(by using the openvpn "redirect-gateway def1" I can achieve the
desired result but then all other traffic is routed over the vpn too
which I want to avoid)

same for me I can't affort to route everything over the VPN

Now my 'ugly' work around.

I configure linphhone's network setup to say, that it is behind a NAT firewall and that its public IP address is my IP address on my VPN network device (TAP device under windows)

The drawback of this method is rather obvious.
after having established a VPN address I have to change my linphonerc
and only then I can startup linphone.

I'd rather prefer to path the sources such, that it always uses it's IP address on the VPN device and not the one of the default internet network device.

Any tips / hints at which part of the sources to look?

Another 'interesting' information is, that Linphone 3.3 works without problems, so something must have changed in the code since, which might
have a negative impact on above mentioned scenario

Thanks a lot in advance for recommendations / suggestions.