Re: [Linphone-users] No video codec available

From: Daniel v. Wachter
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] No video codec available
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 13:00:19 -0400

Am 20.07.2012 23:57, schrieb Felix Lechner:
> Daniel,
>
> Sorry, I mistook your message as an attempt to compile. You do not need
> the 'devel' packages when you use a binary.
>
> I do not use video much, so someone else may be better positioned to
> help you.
>
> As a start, I would look into the name and path of the video device and
> its permissions. On Ubuntu that information would be accessible with
> commands such as:
>
> lsusb (in case of a usb camera)
> ls -al /dev/video (or similar)
> or examining the files in /proc (but that information is rather cryptic.
>
> OpenSuse probably manages devices with 'udev' so the camera has to be
> plugged in when you look for it.
>
> Right after you plug in the camera, you should also find a record of it
> in the logs. You can look at the logs with 'tail /var/log/messages' or
> 'tail /var/log/syslog'.
>
> Regards,
> Felix

Thank you, Felix, I have now uninstalled all devel packages, and looked
at lsusb. All fine there, as far as I can see. The camera is working
well with other applications. One remaining question of mine:

> I have seen that there are plugins at
> http://www.linphone.org/eng/download/. It says "We provide [the
> following] codec plugins". I don't know whether that means that they are
> contained in Linphone or that I need to install them, and if the
> latter, how.

I have also read somewhere that there are versions of Linphone without
video. But I have tried several versions. Unless I get some new info,
I'll have to give up Linphone.
Daniel