Re: [Linphone-users] address@hidden

From: John White
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] address@hidden
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:48:01 -0700

Genghis Khan wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:07:59 -0700
John White <address@hidden> wrote:

Ghengis,

I think I followed your directions but I still can't get linphone to
load properly. If I load it when I am not connected to the internet
it loads fine and fast. But once I connect, it takes half hour
before it is usable.

Concerning your comment:

The following line should be added to linphone.desktop file.

MimeType=x-scheme-handler/sip;

I presume you mean /usr/share/applications/linphone.desktop as there
is no linphone.desktop in my /.local subdirectory (just
linphone-call.desktop).

You can also add it to /usr/share/applications/linphone.desktop or copy
it to ~/.local/share/applications/linphone.desktop and add it there.

I copied it to ~/.local/share/applications/linphone.desktop

Didn't seem to make any difference

Here is what I use $ xdg-open sip:(my username)@diamondcard.us.tld
just in case I am making error here.

A. You need to enter a SIP address to call to, not yours.
B. Dot tld = top level domain (e.g. .com .es etc.).
C. Do not include $ which I wrote to indicate on using terminal.
I dropped the .tld and put my home phone number 1775-------------- into $ xdg-open sip:(my home phone number)@diamondcard.us and it rang my home phone just fine, and then, as usual, froze.

I have attached a desktop file for you to test.

1) Extract attached file to ~/.local/share/applications/

2) Run command:

  $ xdg-mime default linphone.desktop x-scheme-handler/sip

3) Confirm that Linphone is a default program for SIP by running:

  $ xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/sip
  linphone.desktop

4) Test it with:

  $ xdg-open sip:address@hidden
This worked fine....opened the linphone window and registered me on diamondcard.us and then froze (by "froze" I mean that were I to wait a half-hour it would probably come live again).

Linphone loads, says I am registered, but it cannot be used for about
half an hour when there are lots of names and phonenumbers in
linphonerc.

I suggest to import most of your contacts that are not being used often
into an external contact management program that would display contacts
in click-able hyperlinks and then use the solution I have proposed.

I think this a good idea and will try to find such a program.

If you have any other suggestions, they are most appreciated.

I see your link to ekiga and I like ekiga except that it requires
use of evolution. If I could figure out a decent way to input
addresses on ekiga I would use that as I am getting real tired of
linphone's quirks.

I like Ekiga, too, and I use it many times against Linphone to search
for bugs in both software, yet Linphone is my main SIP program.
I agree.  Linphone was my main program until all this happened.

I am starting to think that the problem just might be with Vector Linux. There are two programs in the Vector Linux 7.0 repository that don't load properly on my system (Samsung RF511), and linphone may need one or both of them:

libcanberra gives the following error notice:

   "Packages with unmet dependencies:

       libcanberra: Depends:  Gconf>=2.24.0

   Packages to be installed:

       libcanberra 0.25-i586-1vl70."

And libgnome 2.30.0, in the VL gives a bypass dependency error notice ("Depends: bluecurve-icon-theme").

Thank you for your excellent assistance.

John

John

Genghis Khan wrote:
It did not work for me, at first, because I did not add --call and
%u.

Exec=linphone => Exec=linphone --call %u

Now Linphone works properly with xdg-open.

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 14:22:27 -0400