Re: [Linphone-users] Add MimeType entry to desktop file (utilise Xdg)

From: Genghis Khan
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Add MimeType entry to desktop file (utilise Xdg)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:00:51 +0200

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:48:01 -0700
John White <address@hidden> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I dropped the .tld and put my home phone number 1775--------------
> into $ xdg-open sip:(my home phone number)@diamondcard.us and it rang
> my home phone just fine, and then, as usual, froze.
> >

> > I have attached a desktop file for you to test.
> >
> > 1) Extract attached file to ~/.local/share/applications/
> >
> > 2) Run command:
> >
> > $ xdg-mime default linphone.desktop x-scheme-handler/sip
> >
> > 3) Confirm that Linphone is a default program for SIP by running:
> >
> > $ xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/sip
> > linphone.desktop
> >
> > 4) Test it with:
> >
> > $ xdg-open sip:address@hidden
> This worked fine....opened the linphone window and registered me on
> diamondcard.us and then froze (by "froze" I mean that were I to wait
> a half-hour it would probably come live again).
> >
> >> Linphone loads, says I am registered, but it cannot be used for
> >> about half an hour when there are lots of names and phonenumbers in
> >> linphonerc.
> >>
> > I suggest to import most of your contacts that are not being used
> > often into an external contact management program that would
> > display contacts in click-able hyperlinks and then use the solution
> > I have proposed.
>
> I think this a good idea and will try to find such a program.

Please let me know when you do. I tried to use the address book of
Claws Mail and I have failed to make a click-able sip: URI.

In the meantime I think I have a very strange solution which you might
like.

Using the Start Menu Application launcher (of freeDesktop.org).
More information at http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

Add a category called VoIP and then extract the attached desktop file
to ~/.local/share/applications/

This is the content of the attached file:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=iptel Early Music
GenericName=Test Music VoIP Bot
Comment=Call to iptel Early Music
Type=Link
URL=sip:address@hidden
Icon=sip-bookmark
Categories=VoIP;

You might want to do some of the above actions using MenuLibre.
http://www.smdavis.us/projects/menulibre
https://launchpad.net/menulibre

> <snip>
>
> I am starting to think that the problem just might be with Vector
> Linux. There are two programs in the Vector Linux 7.0 repository
> that don't load properly on my system (Samsung RF511), and linphone
> may need one or both of them:

It seems to me that you also have issues with connection, this is not
just you, perhaps it is occurring because Linphone has a too long
timeout checking status of each contact, which is annoying, or this
problem is resulted in checking of status in conjunction with
connectivity issue by your ISP.

Third Party Factors (side note)
-------------------
In Israel there is a graduate and silent trend by Israeli Internet
Service Providers to sabotage VoIP communications, especially SIP.

A few years ago, in Israel, it was impossible to use SIP with Ekiga over
3G connections, via Bluetooth or USB.
Even though Ekiga was extremely horrible connecting to the internet in
Europe, there were strange issues that used to occur only in Israel.
Ekiga did overcome all of these problems, if not most of them, last
time I have verified.

Nowadays, an ISP named Bezeq is selling a router called NETGAR (see
attached image) that is set up to crash, and all of its setting are
consequently being reset, when Linphone starts to make a connection!

 Such problem:
 a. is deliberate.
 b. is of vulnerability.
 c. is occurring only with Linphone, as far as I have experienced.
 d. has nothing to do with Linphone itself.

> <snip>
>
> Thank you for your excellent assistance.

I am very glad that I was helpful to you!

--
Proper English www.reddit.com/r/proper
4 teh lulz... http://email.is-not-s.ms